The Right Answer: Make Breakfast More Fun
(StatePoint) For most parents, weekday mornings before school are like a challenging math problem: pack backpacks and lunches, plus get yourself ready for work – minus the luxury of unlimited time. But skipping breakfast should not be part of the equation.
And, really, it can be fun! Especially when you keep a few go-to breakfast recipes up your sleeves and stay well-stocked on morning favorites – such as whole grain cereal, fresh fruit, rolled oats, yogurt and flavorings.
In fact, layer on the love by helping your early risers make their own breakfast parfait, such as the Fruit and Yogurt Parfait with Trix Granola. Start with a see-through glass or container so everyone can admire their parfait progress. These super-stacked beauties are also customizable so every family member can choose his or her favorite ingredients – and top them up as they see fit.
Just a few minutes set aside for that first family meal of the day will help to start things off with a dash of fun – and flavor.
Fruit and Yogurt Parfait with Trix Granola:
Ingredients for Granola
• 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
• 3 tbsp brown sugar
• 1 cup lightly crushed Trix cereal
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1/4 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Ingredients for the Parfaits
Sliced fruits of your choice such as kiwi, mango, blueberries, raspberries or strawberries
Vanilla flavored yogurt
• Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
• In a large bowl combine the rolled oats, brown sugar, crushed cereal, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl combine the honey, coconut oil and vanilla. If the coconut oil is hard, microwave for just a few seconds to soften it. Pour the liquid mixture into the oats mixture and use your hands to incorporate, and coat evenly.
• Pour onto a lightly greased, rimmed baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, then add the flaked coconut and sliced almonds. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Granola will harden when cooled.
• Layer the fruit, yogurt and granola in parfait glasses and enjoy!
Crunched for time? Prepare the granola ahead of time.
And, did you know Trix and the Silly Rabbit are celebrating their 60th birthday this year with a brand new fruitier-tasting Trix debuting in the cereal aisle? In fact, when it was introduced in 1954, Trix was the first ready-to-eat cereal made just for kids.