A mom in Georgia is warning others to take care after her son contracted a rare disease following a tick bite.
Mason McNair was staying with relatives in LaGrange, Georgia when then noticed a tick near his belly button. The tick was quickly removed, but the area got red and infected.
Mom Danielle McNair took her son to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics, but Mason’s condition worsened and he eventually broke out in a rash from head to toe, as seen in Danielle’s Facebook post below.
Doctors investigated further and found that Mason had Rocky Mountain spotted fever. A bacterial infection that can lead to amputation, hearing loss, paralysis and mental disabilities.
After doctors changed his treatment to include the correct antibiotic, Danielle was happy to report that he was now “completely healthy.”
“Please be aware of ticks and make sure to check yourself and your kids every time when coming from outside! Especially in wooded areas, by lakes, tall grasses,” said McNair.