This is something fun – especially if you have kids, a daycare or even if you’re a teacher. Children are always asking questions about Christmas that most adults don’t even know. Once in a while we will throw some kind of half-baked answer out to them hoping that it satisfies their curiosity. If we literally have no idea, we just change the conversation and offer them a cookie.
You don’t have to do that anymore! These are some neat facts about Christmas that you can share with children and adults if you want to look super smart.
- Coca-Cola helped to create the modern-day image of Santa – friendly and plump with a white beard but contrary to large belief, they did not create his red attire.
- Christmas trees are also known as the Yule-tree.
- It is believed that decorating Christmas trees originated in 16th century Germany, when Christians would bring decorated trees into their homes.
- Where “X-Mas” does came from? X is a symbol for Christ in Greek, hence X-Mas.
- Alabama was the first US state to declare Christmas a legal holiday in 1836.
- On the other end, Oklahoma was the last US state to declare Christmas a legal holiday in 1907.
- Christmas became a federal holiday in the US in June of 1870.
- The very first Christmas trees were decorated with apples, nuts and dates. Wow…talk about ants!
To read more fun and interesting facts about Christmas at Kids Play and Create … CLICK HERE!