Today’s children will never know….
My car needed new breaks recently so a good friend of mine let me borrow his car until mine was repaired. The car I was borrowing was a 1993 Crown Victoria and because of its age, it had features that most cars nowadays don’t have (which were excitedly pointed out to me, by my kids). The cigarette lighter for instance. My kids had NO IDEA what it was or why that even needed to be in a car! Crazy, right!?
It blew my mind! Then I started thinking, “What other things did I grow up with that my kids will never experience for themselves?”
Here’s a list of some things that I thought of.
- Car cigarette lighters.
- Busy signals. (Unless trying to win something on KSON) hahaha
- Hitting the record button on your cassette player to record your favorite song off of the radio.
- Talking to an actual operator when pressing zero on your rotary telephone
- Roll down car windows
- Floppy disks
- Film rolls
- Phone Books
- TV Guide Channel
- Weather Channel
- Phone booths
- Paper Maps (OR even printing out directions via Mapquest prior to leaving for a road trip for that matter)!
- The sound and speed of Dial-Up. (Then the anger you felt when someone picked up the phone while you were online because it immediately knocked you off).
- Calling your mom collect letting her know to come pick you up. *You have a collect call from: MOM! It’s Amber! I’m at school, come pick me up now.”
Those were just a few things that came to mind. Feel free to add to the list!!