Girl Accidentally Gives ‘Marijuana Candy’ to Her Friends
In New Mexico, a 9-year-old girl has accidentally passed out edible marijuana gummies to some of her classmates. Furious at the schools response, the parents of many of the students are beside themselves how this could happen.
KRQE news reports after a fifth grade girl at the Albuquerque School of Excellence in New Mexico found a box of what she thought was candy at home, she brought it to school and shared it with five of her classmates. Shortly after, the girl began feeling ill. Her teacher noticed the symptoms and sent the little girl to the school’s nurse. After questioning the girl about what she’d eaten prior to feeling sick, the school nurse dug the empty candy box out of the trash and quickly realized, “nope…that’s not candy.”
It turns out that the gummies were actually marijuana edibles that the girl’s grandfather used for medicinal purposes. Members of the school’s administration made an announcement immediately after finding the box. They asked for any student who had eaten the gummies to come to the front office right away. Five students came forward, all with varying degrees of symptoms.
After being checked by paramedics, the children were fine. But once the parent’s found out – they were not so fine. The school issued a statement on Facebook to the parent’s which said….“If parents aren’t keeping cannabis products safely at home and away from children, then how are we supposed to monitor the situation at school?” Some parents are outraged at this response from the school.
You can read the full response from the school, and parent’s at cafemom.com.